Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Discussing the Future


Matt and I had a perfect date this morning. I woke up and he said "will you go on a date with me to get breakfast this morning?" 
 Naturally, I agreed with a big ole smile on my morning drool, pillow lined face. ;-) 
Because of my crazy work schedule and Matt being back in classes and way over committed to things this semester, we have been excessively busy and on opposite schedules. When I'm home, he's not and vice versa. It's been a rough few weeks to be honest. We've barely had a home cooked meal together, we see each other about an hour here and there. 
This morning was much needed. 

We went to this little breakfast cafe not far from our apartment. (funny side story: I ordered hazelnut coffee. The waitress left, came back and said "unfortunately we don't have hazelnut today, it's pumpkin flavored coffee". My jaw dropped and I looked at Matt and said "I always knew God loved me!" hehe! If you know me at all, Pumpkin flavored ANYTHING is my absolute favorite. I'm a wee bit obsessed with pumpkins and believe me I GET IT HONEST! right mom?!) 
Back to the date story. 

So, Matt is in his last (FOURTH!) year of his Masters degree. Masters of Divinity. He wants to be a professor of theology. He took the GRE 2 weekends ago and got good preliminary scores. For the past 6 months or more we've been seriously discussing where we will be next year at this time. It is now becoming a realization that we have to move on from this point. We've always known our home here is temporary, but now my fear of change and uncertainty of the future is kicking in full swing. 

On our date this morning we had a very long (enough time for me to have about 4 cups of pumpkin flavored coffee) discussion about finalizing PhD programs Matt will be applying to in the next few months. He has 6 on his list. I'm not going to list them now as I don't feel like it's necessary to share with the world, but we narrowed them down and finalized this morning. 
In this discussion, it led to discussing back up plans and what ifs, financial plans and where we want to be in ten years. As nerve wracking as this all is and undecided and 100% out of our hands (for the most part), it's fun knowing that we're in this together and that no matter what, we will be okay. 

I'm living this life with my very best friend and that's all that matters! ;-) 
  As embarrassing as this is to share, this is literally the first picture Matt and I have together. I was 18 and he was 19 (i think....). Someday I will share our story of how we started dating.
The night of our rehearsal dinner. 

I can't believe we've been married more than a year already. It's so great living life with your best friend as your husband! Can't wait to see where we end up and what God, and life bring our way! 

2 comments:

T@R@ said...

I remember the night of that first picture well....I'm pretty sure I was wearing hot pink and had crimped hair ;). We will be praying for you guys as you make this decision! Miss you!

The Presutti's said...

aw this was such a sweet post, my face lit up when I read this! So amazing and sweet!