Sunday, September 25, 2011

My First Decorated Cake


I've done it!

So I've signed up for my cake decorating class in October. I've bought all my utensils and supplies and I could not wait to put them to use! 
I was asked/I volunteered to make a cake for work this week for one of our employees. I decided it'd be PERFECT to make a scrub top cake after doing some research online. It didn't seem that complicated to me and so I thought I'd take on the task! 

I sketched my plan.

 Yes that is the camera cord in the picture cut me some slack. I'll get better. 

The person I am making this for loves carrot cake which I found out through the grapevine. So I used Betty Crocker's recipe. She hasn't failed me yet that Betty!

After I baked it I let it cool completely. Then I started sculpting. This was the part I was pretty nervous about. However, it ended up not going so bad! 


 I cute my scrub top cake then it was on to making the icing! 

I used a typical cream cheese icing recipe. 

2 blocks cream cheese
1 stick butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar 
(add a little more powdered sugar if needed to thicken) 

I then dyed part of the icing seal blue (the color of scrubs we have to wear at work) and left part cream colored. 

I frosted the scrub top parts.


 and had a little taste! (i washed my hands after this!) 

Then I piped the outer design in cream colored icing. 

I then piped the neckline and pockets. Then melted chocolate chips for the stethoscope and used cream colored icing for the ear pieces and stethoscope bell with a chocolate chip in the middle.

This is my practice run! I need to improve on my writing skills that's for sure! But to be 100% honest with you it turned out better than I thought it would! I am making a much bigger version of this later this week but I am so glad it turned out the way it did! This was my first ever decorated cake and I have some improving to do, but at least I know I'm not terrible at it! 


1 comment:

Molly Page said...

Considering how difficult it is for me to make a round cake look presentable, I am blown away by your skills!!! If this is "pre" class I'm excited to see how amazing you will be "post" class.