Saturday, September 24, 2011

New Series for the Lovely Purl



New series here on The Lovely Purl!


I plan on sharing more recipes here on the blog! So I thought it's time for my first official "series"! 

 I have a love and passion for cooking and even more for baking! I love both, but I seem to be better at baking. I thought I'd start with the recipe I made yesterday. I've been branching out and becoming more brave and not following recipes perfectly but sort of adding and changing things here and there. 

Since it is the first day of fall and all, I thought it appropriate to share my recipe for: 

Apple Cinnamon Crumble Cupcakes 

The Goods: (for 2 dozen cupcakes)
For the Cake Goods:

2 sticks unsalted butter (room temperature)
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 shake (sorry that's literally what i put) Pumpkin Pie Spice
7 egg whites (room temperature)
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 cup chopped apples (any kind will do)
 For the Frosting Goods:
2 blocks cream cheese
1 stick unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp almond extract

For the cake parts: 
In a separate bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. (Might as well sit out your cream cheese and butter for your icing now too so it gets soft. I usually forget to do this!)

in an electric mixer cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until creamy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs in 2 separate additions making sure to mix in between really well. Scrape the sides of your bowl and the bottom to make sure you get all the goods at the bottom mixed real well.
Add the vanilla and almond extract and beat for 2 minutes more.
(the batter will look smooth but foamy) 



Add half of the flour mixture until blended slightly, then add 1/2 of the milk. Repeat this until you've added all the flour and milk. Blend for a couple more minutes until batter is smooth. (no one likes chunky cake! hehe)


Add your apples at the end and blend for just a minute to get them mixed in. You can also add them and then mix with a spatula if you don't want your apples to break apart. 

For the Icing Parts:
  Now that your butter and cream cheese have sat out for awhile to get soft, 

In an electric mixer, cream together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. 
Add the almond extract and blend. 
Slowly add part of the powdered sugar little bit at a time and mix well in between making sure to scrape the side of your bowl and the bottom to incorporate. 

Once all of your ingredients are added, mix on medium to high speed for several minutes until it starts to form waves and your icing is thick enough to ice your cupcakes without falling over or melting. 


If you need to (which I did) add a small amount more of the powdered sugar to thicken it a little.




Let your cupcakes cool completely and then add your icing. 


For the Crumbly Parts:   


Soften 4 tbsp of unsalted butter. 
(do you get that their is a lot of butter in this recipe! HEHE)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


mix together until crumbly. 


Sprinkle on top of wet icing on your cupcakes! 


I added a little garnish of cinnamon sticks as well to add a hint of fall. :-) 


(I used a baseline recipe from the cupcake kit book by Elinor Klivans (one of my faves) and the crumble topping recipe from Emeril Lagasse). 


ENJOY!!!! 



Let me know if you try the recipe! Leave a comment with your link!


 

No comments: